Thursday, May 01, 2008

Mr. Doll Goes to Washington

Last week I had the opportunity to spend a little more than two days in the nation's capital, Washington D.C. Having been to Washington numerous times, including the dedication of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in 1982, I decided to do the majority of my photography of things other than the tourist sites along the National Mall. These are only forty-nine images out of the more than 1200 that I shot in 53-1/2 hours in the city.


This building, which is part of the University of the District of Columbia, is located along Connecticut Avenue with the entrance to the Metro showing in the foreground.


Main Building, University of the District of Columbia.
http://www.udc.edu/


Part of a wall mural on the outside of a 7-11 Store in the District.


Firefighters taking a break from their daily routine outside of Engine Co. Number 28.


Antique shop keeper.

The next five pictures were shot at the National Zoo, which is also on Connecticut Avenue about a mile from our hotel.


Male Jaguar.


Hippopotamas.


The hippopotamus pool.


The Elephant Eye.


Zebra.


Street Person.


It's been a long time since I've seen a real theatre in an urban setting.


Of all the cars running around the streets (Mercedes, Jaquar, Porsche) the one that caught my eye and I thought was really the coolest was this Smart For Two car. The car gets 40 miles to the gallon.


My wife's Chinese dinner being served at a side walk cafe.


Senior Political Activist.


I'm not sure what the story is here. I know it's not too often that you see a police car playing taxi cab.


Part of the Old Smithsonian Institution Building.


As you can tell from the photographs, I really didn't spend a lot of time in the "mall" area of DC. Personally I can't understand why there are no parking facilities in this highly visited area of our nation's capital. There is a lot more I'd like to say here about the whole situation in Washington, but I'm sure that if I did the "powers that be" would be pounding on my door.


The Mary Livingston Ripley Garden, created by the Smithsonian Institution Woman's Committee to honor their founder.


Are Year's What ? (For Maryianne Moore) A sculpture by Mark di Suvero -- painted steel and cable.


Washington Monument.


After beating a hasty retreat from the mall I found myself in the area of McPherson Square where I stopped to take pictures of whatever I could see. The first shot I took was of a demonstration against one of the contractors working in the area.


One of the many parking areas set aside specifically for the two wheeled motorized set.


Portrait of one of the many people I talked to on the streets during my three days of touring.


View of a high rise near McPherson Square.


Street Vendor.


Another Street Person.


I figured since I was showing people in the park, I'd show this couple. They were the only ones without baggage.


Sun Trust Building.


Demolition of a building on Connecticut Avenue, at K Street.


I think this might be Jefferson Place, N.W. I know it's along Connecticut Avenue. In fact, almost every picture I took was along Connecticut Avenue!


Mr. Lee, a street vendor and musician, plays a chinese violin known as a jinghu.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jinghu


A statue at the Alero Mexican Restaurant, down the street from our hotel.

It's be a life time since I rode the metro. Thursday afternoon I decided it was time to go underground for some of my photographs. I got on the metro at Van Ness - UDC and got off at DuPont Circle. I then got back on and rode back to Van Ness - UDC. Some of these were shot at Van Ness-UDC station and some at DuPont Circle station.








Art Alexakis, of the band Everclear, catches forty winks after getting into the Days Inn early Friday morning.


These are more than just sculptural balls. They also serve as a deterrent against car bombs being driven into the buildings.


This particular photograph was taken just as I found it. I was walking towards the subway when I spotted these glasses propped up on a cement block just sitting on the sidewalk. Of all the photographs that you see here, this is the one that I struggled with the most trying to create the proper presentation. If you look at it closely you can see that the block the glasses are sitting on and the glasses themselves have a cubist look about them.


Matthew Lesko, author, you've seen him on TV hawking his book about receiving free government money. Well, here he is riding down the street on his motor scooter. I wasn't sure at first if this was the real deal but doing a little research on Google tells me that the ? Suit is trademarked.


Marigold in a planter in front of a charter school.


Poster outside of the Sips Coffee Shop.


Washington D.C. Firefighters responding to an automatic fire alarm at Van Ness square.


A messenger and his ride.


Me and the Mrs. sitting outside the Zoo Blues Bar, sipping on our $4.40 Yuengling Lagers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's nice to see someone else's perspective of DC that I left the Hastings area for. It's a great city and a great place to visit as is the Nortern Cambria area - two totally different places!

Anonymous said...

HI! Been spending the last hour looking through your pictures. I wouldn't have passed up the "Circle of Friends" statue either. Would be a great addition to a flower garden!!!