Thursday, November 19, 2009

Back Road Tour, Indiana County, PA

Many years ago, when I worked in Indiana County, I would spend my lunch time touring the back roads west of Indiana borough. Every day I would pick a different road and drive it for about 1/2 hour just to see what there was to be seen. Now, when I'm over there and have a little bit of time, I like to see how things have changed. And with the exception of some new houses, I'm glad to say that the area looks pretty much the same today as it did back then.


If my memory serves me correctly, this barn was a flea market at one time.

The next four photographs show the 1879 Thomas Covered Bridge which crosses Crooked Creek in Indiana County, PA.


A reflection in the water of Crooked Creek with the sun rising over my shoulder at Thomas Bridge at about 7:30 a.m. Saturday morning. In PhotoShop I desaturated the picture and then went back and painted in just the surface of the water to achieve this effect.


The west side of the bridge, looking east toward Yarnick's Farm Store.


This huge 10 foot tall fiberglass chicken sits at the entrance of the Yarnick Farm Store.


Unfortunately, the market was not open this early in the morning.


Not only can you purchase fresh produce raised on the farm and visit the covered bridge but you can also enjoy a game of checkers if you so desire.


Seeing that you are a guest, you get the first move.


Located on Five Points Road is this nicely maintained barn. While photographing it I kept hearing music which I originally thought was coming from my van. Turns out the farmer has a radio playing inside to keep the critters happy!




Located across the road from the previous picture is another barn which houses several horses.


Heading back home on Route 286 just North of Indiana, PA, we passed this country scene sitting next to the road.


Next to the barn is this two-story farm house looking as grand as any in the area.



I really wish I started taking pictures of this barn 15 years ago. I passed it twice a day when I was a warehouse manager for Consumer Satellite Service in Indiana. At that time, it was a lot less weathered.



Early Sunday morning my wife spotted three doe walking across the top of our shooting range, munching on the tree saplings as they went. Because of the thickness of the woods it took about 15 minutes of watching before I could get one of the deer in a position where you could actually tell that it was a deer.


Another elusive resident in our part of the world is this female Pileated Woodpecker. I was actually surprised at how long the bird stayed within my view. From the point where I shot this picture the female was only 25 feet away from me. The photograph was taken with a Canon Rebel XTi using a 70-200 L lens with a 2x extender. At 19 inches tall this is the biggest woodpecker in Pennsylvania and you can tell the male from the female by the grey/black feathers on the forehead and the lack of a red mustach.

No comments: